NetSuite plugins and extensions to save time and grow your revenue
As one of the leading ERP platforms, NetSuite is relied upon in businesses across the world. But did you know that there is a huge range of NetSuite plugins that can be downloaded to optimize its functionality?
Recently named by Gartner as a leader for cloud financial management suites, over 40,000 businesses use NetSuite in at least 100 countries thanks to the way it simplifies business processes into one cloud-based package. There are no large license or maintenance fees, it’s easy to set up and manage, and there’s no need for hardware, so it is easy to see the appeal.
Most of NetSuite’s users have bought into the product because of the way it successfully mixes customer relationship management (CRM) and enterprise resource planning (ERP) tools. Having both of these functions in one place makes it straightforward to manage inventory, keep track of financial information, and easily reach out to the desired audience demographic and maintain relevant contact.
NetSuite is an incredibly flexible platform and one that lends itself to a huge range of business types. What’s even more impressive is how NetSuite allows users to download additional content and services in the form of NetSuite plugins. These plugins are known as SuiteApps, and are available from NetSuite’s dedicated website, Suiteapp.com.
Each of these plugins has been developed by members of the SuiteCloud Developer Network, NetSuite’s third-party developer program. Once downloaded and installed in NetSuite, these extensions allow you to further tailor your use of the program to business needs. While some NetSuite plugins focus on integration with other systems to increase productivity, others can streamline various essential processes and even lead to a boost in revenue.
“Improving your experience with NetSuite can involve a wide range of things, from simple apps and plugins to custom developed applications that run inside NetSuite and make users’ lives better,” notes Rob MacEwen, Managing Director at Audaxium. “I use the “NetSuite Show Field IDs” chrome plugin and Ditto clipboard manager to help with what is often a lot of cutting and pasting when configuring a new environment. Moving back and forth between NetSuite and other systems often involves moving many small lists, which Ditto is great for.”
It’s fair to say that NetSuite becomes an even more attractive prospect for businesses thanks to its SuiteApp offering, so, with that in mind, here is a collection of plugins that will allow you to get the best out of your business using NetSuite extensions.
NetSuite plugin for Outlook
A dedicated NetSuite plugin for Outlook is available, giving you the power to manage email communications, contacts, diary, and tasks. Microsoft prides itself on Outlook’s ability to give you a holistic, 360-degree view of business relationships and, by installing the NetSuite Outlook plugin, you can capture that CRM activity for more in-depth and effective use.
With a NetSuite Outlook plugin download, you can synchronize native Outlook records (such as events, tasks, contacts and call logs) into NetSuite in real time. You can also choose the type of records to be synced using a broad range of criteria.
The NetSuite plugin for Outlook also allows for email messages to be associated with your records, with the option to choose a relevant NetSuite record occurring whenever you write or receive a new email. This can be important when it comes to customer relationships, as relevant communication threads from NetSuite become instantly available to add important context.
System security is extra important when it comes to integrating existing systems using NetSuite extensions, and that’s why the NetSuite plugin for Outlook comes with comprehensive administrator tools. As well as the abilities already covered above, these permissions allow administrators to:
- Define the criteria for conflict resolution.
- Determine how records to be synchronized are identified.
- Generate different default settings for various roles.
- Highlight required fields in Outlook for contacts.
If yours is one of the huge number of businesses that relies on Microsoft’s Outlook for your communications, as well as NetSuite for your CRM activity, then the NetSuite plugin for Outlook has more than enough administrative and time-saving features to justify integrating the two.
NetSuite Magento extension
When it comes to integrating these two platforms with a NetSuite Magento extension, there are various options available. The likes of Celigo’s Magento 1 ERP integration for NetSuite (or NetSuite Smart Connector) are often found at the top of search lists, but whichever you choose should give you access to a majority of the same features. The benefit of using the NetSuite Magento extensions built within the NetSuite SmartConnector product is that this is a prebuilt integration, which means you can easily use NetSuite’s ERP along with the Magento eCommerce platform. A monthly subscription of $250 is required, but NetSuite Smart Connector offers an extremely impressive range of capabilities, including:
- Advanced logistics. Improved fulfillment through tracking numbers and customer notifications, which are updated in real time.
- Sales management. Purchase orders are created in NetSuite automatically once a customer checks out from the Magento storefront.
- Payment options. Payments can be made at time of sale or after fulfillment thanks to multiple payment capture options
- Stores connectivity. Multiple Magento stores can be connected, or linked, to a single Netsuite instance for ease of use.
- Product management. Use NetSuite to directly manage your products, pricing, images, categories and other information.
- Refund and order cancellations. Order management, cancellations, and refunds can also be handled in NetSuite, with updated product statuses appearing in the Magento storefront.
- Inventory. Real-time synchronization between Magento and NetSuite allows for an accurate stock and inventory display, minimizing the chance of under or over-selling.
- Miscellaneous. using the NetSuite Magento extension also provides you with the ability to offer discounts and promotions, various shipping and payment methods, a range of currencies and multiple product uploading.
In terms of revenue, the NetSuite Magento extension reduces costs, despite its monthly fees, thanks to inclusive and continuous updates, maintenance and support. You can also scale your operations more efficiently through automating certain processes that use both NetSuite and Magento, and improve the customer’s buying experience through accurate product availability information, and real-time order statuses.
NetSuite WordPress plugin
Thanks to its extremely easy-to-use interface and huge suite of personalization options, WordPress is the web platform of choice for countless businesses across a range of industries. Instead of a standard NetSuite WordPress plugin, businesses that use both platforms for eCommerce are likely better served by a tool such as In8, which also brings Woocommerce integration into the equation.
The In8 NetSuite WordPress plugin synchronizes all of the most important data between NetSuite and the Woocommerce tool. Bi-directional syncing ensures that customer data is always up to date, and in real time. In fact, the In8 NetSuite WordPress plugin offers the same functionality as the NetSuite Magento extension above, just using a different platform for those businesses (likely smaller) who prefer to run a WordPress site with Woocommerce due to its simple layout and raft of customization and personalization features.
NetSuite Gmail plugin
A NetSuite Gmail plugin makes it much easier to use your Gmail data in NetSuite. The plugin actually brings increased functionality from all Google apps into NetSuite, but its most impressive features center around Gmail. Developed by Celigo, a NetSuite SuiteCloud partner, customer opportunity information can be linked from Gmail to NetSuite, with contextual integration enabling you to select information from NetSuite and attach it to an email. Permanent audit trails will be instantly created once you use the inline NetSuite tool within Gmail to select the record you wish to attach to your current email.
This NetSuite Gmail plugin can have benefits when it comes to user productivity, as it provides transaction and contextual customer data from your NetSuite instance directly into Gmail for more targeted customer communication and relationship management. This means that customer and prospect communications are more effectively tracked and followed through NetSuite’s CRM.
As well as these communication features, the NetSuite Gmail plugin also boasts seamless synchronization with your Google Calendar. Syncing NetSuite with the Google Calendar is automatic, as well as bi-directional. You can choose which calendar to use at any time, safe in the knowledge that any events will automatically be added to both. Having a calendar that is synchronized is a fantastic and relatively simple way to save time as a business, as it ensures that all relevant parties are on the same page and working to the same scheduled goals at all times.
NetSuite Eclipse Plugin
Eclipse is one of the most popular integrated development environments (IDE) in use today, so it stands to reason that a NetSuite Eclipse plugin download would be popular among the shared user base of both platforms.
For those looking for a NetSuite Eclipse plugin download, one of the best options is arguably SuiteCloud IDE. Developed especially for the NetSuite platform, SuiteCloud IDE is Eclipse-based and therefore allows for direct development using SuiteApp functionality within NetSuite.
The so-called Eclipse Perspective, used to control item visibility in an instance and the user interface, has been translated into a new NetSuite Perspective. With the NetSuite Perspective, you can manipulate and better control resources and projects within NetSuite.
The productivity of your developers is given prominence thanks to features such as code-completion on SuiteScript APIs and script IDs, a setup wizard, and event handling. Enhanced file management is also part of the package, allowing developers to set properties for multiple files and folders from within SuiteCloud IDE as a group.
Additional features worth mentioning when considering SuiteCloud IDE as a NetSuite Eclipse Plugin download include integration with SuiteScript’s record browser, the ability to manage multiple NetSuite accounts, and upload/download from the NetSuite file cabinet.
Other NetSuite plugins
While we have so far focused on NetSuite extensions that provide the ability to integrate with other programs such as Outlook, Magento, and WordPress, they are not the only plugins available to help your business increase revenue and save time. Some NetSuite plugins offer broad business assistance, while others find a niche market among the NetSuite user base by targeting and solving specific issues.
Below are some of the best and most-effective NetSuite plugins to save time and grow revenue:
- SuiteLoyalty. SuiteLoyalty encourages your customers to buy more by offering a rewards system. Loyalty points are accumulated with each purchase and then converted into gift cards. These gift cards can then be redeemed with ease.
- Xpenditure. Xpenditure offers a simple way to digitize and automate your expense management process. Real-time notifications and mileage tracking will save you time, while technical features such as credit card management and the ability to export expenses automatically to Netsuite make Xpenditure an attractive NetSuite plugin.
- Bronto Marketing. A NetSuite owned company, Bronto uses data such as cart, product and order details to generate automated follow-up content across multiple channels. If a customer leaves an abandoned cart, for example, Bronto will send an alert message. It can also be used to up-sell campaigns, and with plenty of personalization options, these automated campaigns can save you huge amounts of time while having a greater appeal to recipients.
- AvaTax. AvaTax is a NetSuite plugin that focuses on efficiency. Its selling point is the ability to manage a variety of sale tax rules (such as sales tax holidays, value dependent sales tax, state-specific taxes, etc.). It also manages your monthly sales tax returns for you. Since AvaTax is integrated with NetSuite, it will use automated tax calculations to ensure that your business is sales tax compliant at all times.
- Box for NetSuite. A NetSuite plugin for the hugely popular Box workflow management software, Box for NetSuite brings greater collaborative working to NetSuite to improve efficiency. Using Box, you can securely share files and review, create, or edit documents with other members of your team in real-time.
“At Audaxium we’ve developed many apps that run inside NetSuite that clients use to automate the day-to-day processes,” adds Rob. “These range from automating the followup on open invoices, to automatic customer surveys.” Here are some examples:
- Print Any Record. Print off any NetSuite or Custom Record in a nice PDF, CSV, Excel, including related records.
- Update Opportunity from Quote. Check a box and have the line items on your opportunity update after you modify an attached quote.
- NetSuite Toggl Integration. Much easier time entry for NetSuite. Very affordable and easy to deploy
- Transaction Email Automation. A rules-based system for following up on any transaction via email.
- Customer Surveys. NetSuite custom records can very quickly be created to build surveys in NetSuite and automatically send survey links to clients in many circumstances, such as after a sale, or a closed case.
The beauty of NetSuite’s SuiteApp development system means that new plugins and extensions are emerging all of the time from the likes of Audaxium and others. New functionality is never far away to customize your NetSuite experience.